Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Another day, another donut-hole... ooo... donuts

My class... my wonderful, angelic, delightful class... have decided to push Mrs. DeLong to see at what point she snaps. She probably doesn't mean be silent when she said no one can talk. I bet if I confer with my neighbor I can get some good ideas for my essay even though she said we weren't supposed to. I doubt she meant single file when she said "get in a straight, quiet line". I bet we can get Mrs. DeLong to begin referring to herself in third person. They really are wonderful children, caring, responsive, but there are times when I say I want them to work quietly and I don't mean converse with your neighbor, get the answer from someone else, stroll around the room, hop around on your classmate's crutches, get your third drink in one hour, take a restroom break, go to the office for chapstick, doodle, or stare off into space. Call me crazy. So this afternoon I sought council from my more-veteran teammate and we discussed all the terrible things we could do to make them regret their very existence. I am currently throwing aroung the idea of resorting to endless worksheets until they decide to focus. Some part of me feels like I need to be more creative and positive and use rewards instead of punishment, but the other part of me just wants to be able to teach without expending all my energy on keeping them on task. Sigh. Oh well.

My night improved when my wonderful husband did the dishes so I would have room to make dinner (which I enjoyed so much that I followed dinner with cookies, of which I only ate 1 thank you very much). Then after our yummy cornbread pot pie he did those dishes, followed by the laundry. Am I the envy of women everywhere or what? Anyhow, I also worked out, which I really don't recommend if you enjoy non-sore muscles and full range of motion. I dread what my legs and abs will feel like tomorrow and I thank my lucky stars that I don't still live on the fifth floor of my college dorm. Good stuff.

Well, my bed calls so I must sign off...

Ang

2 comments:

Cori said...

The donut-ness caught my eye. Just throw rocks at your children, its perfectly legal and acceptable. In some countries.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I think you are expressing the frustration of teachers everywhere. I too have the same problem. I do give rewards, group points, tickets, and golden tickets to those who are doing what I have asked. This does get the others to sit down and shut their pie holes and get to work. When bribery does not work, I take time off of computer lab, recess, Fun Friday, or whatever makes them listen. Most of the time I don't have to resort to any of that though. Then again, I have third graders who are still scared of me... dunno how fifth graders would take it.