Sunday, August 9, 2009

Last full day

We are back in Busingen once more, glad to not be getting on any trains today and to use the computer for as long as we want. I can even find the exclamation point!!!!!! And the letter Y is in the correct place. Small victories. Anyhow, I will give you the highlights of the last few days.
Three days ago we took the train(s) to Interlaken. As we were wandering down the street towards the Travel Information center to book some adventurous things we happened upon a booth advertising paragliding and other stuff. We ended up booking paragliding for both of us for that afternoon and rafting for the next day. Paragliding was amazing! I really never got scared, though I almost threw up. Taking off was the best part. You run a few steps, wait for you chute to catch up to you, then run a few more until there is no ground underneath you any more. I would highly recommend it to anyone. However, at the end as we were descending I agreed to a few acrobatic maneuvers which I think is what did me in. By the time we landed I was praying fervently that the Lord would keep my lunch from coming out my mouth. We then took the train, a bus, and a lift up to Gimmelwald and the Mountain Hostel where we stayed the night. It was a very busy place, full of American Alp enthusiasts all talking about good hikes and other places they had gone or are going to. We stayed in the owner's daughter's room (she is apparently away at college) so we got some space to ourselves. The next day we went back down the mountain and went white water rafting. I seem to remember going rafting in Colorado in years past and just wearing my own clothes and a life jacket. Not so here. We were given wet suits, wet suit jackets, booties, life jackets, and helmets. Pretty intense, but I was very thankful for them once I felt the glacial water. We opted to join the Swiss-speaking boat (as opposed to the one full of Australians) and not know how to say useful things like "all forward, right, left, and duck/hold on". The water was decently rough and within the first hundred feet we hit a rock funny and the entire back of our raft went under, leaving me up to my waist in freezing cold water. Somehow we were able to wiggle the boat out of the spot it was stuck in and regain some sort of bouyancy. It then took a few minutes for all the water to drain, at which time I felt like we were floating down the river in a full bath tub. The rest of the journey was not quite so treacherous, though we were bummed that our raft didn't get to attempt the small waterfall since our guide was brand new. Oh well.

I am apparently writing in too much detail because Riley has given up waiting on me and has gone back to the room. Summation of the rest of that trip: Next day we took some lifts up a mountain to hike, hiked the trail, took a bunch of pictures, but the mountains were covered in clouds so we couldn't see the big mountains, only the hills directly in front of us. Ate overpriced cheese fondue. Bought a few souvenirs. Took the train back to Schaffhausen. Fell asleep as soon as we got back. Today we are hoping to borrow some bikes and ride to the Rhine Falls. Tomorrow: home. Love you all!

Ang

No comments: