Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cabbage

Cabbage
So last night I made potstickers for my husband and I and 5 of our closest friends. For those of you poor unlightened souls who don't know what a potsticker is I have included a photo. At least I would have if I was more motivated.

I enjoy making these little bundles of joy from scratch, makes me feel like a chef, but it does make quite the mess. Then I fed 7 people and we enjoyed ice cream afterwards. I also cooked up a batch of both white and brown rice. Needless to say the amount of dishes that were stacked around my cute little kitchen this morning was rather staggering. Dishes annoy me so I pushed up my sleeves this morning and dove right in. Unfortunately, after about three minutes the sink was backing up with water. This is not unusual, it just means I need to use the all-powerful garbage disposal. I flipped the switch and was suddenly treated to an Old-Faithful-esque geyser errupting from the other side of my sink. When I recovered my senses and turned it off both sides of the sink were flooded and small bits of cabbage were floating in the muck. Huh, so maybe I should not have stuck the left-over cabbage from the potstickers in the disposal. Who knew? I will spare you all the gorey details. Riley was in class til noon so I sent a pitiful text to a friend of ours who is good at fixing things. He willingly came over, experienced the excitement of my geyser, then proceeded to disassemble the pipes under our sink until he discovered the cabbage hairball that I, of course, saved to show my friends and neighbors and have graciously pictured below. I only wish that I could have included the smell with the picture.

OK, so again I am too lazy for the picture thing. Perhaps someday I will get around to gracing you with my rotting food pictures.

I think that everyone who comes into possession of a garbage disposal should be given a list of things that do not go in a diposal. I knew about potato peels, but apparently you should also avoid fibrous vegetables. To gather more information I naturally turned to the infinite knowledge of google. Here are some things that should not be garbage disposal-ed:

What Does Not Go Down Garbage Disposals

Anything that is not biodegradable food
Anything combustible
Plastic and metal
Cigarettes and butts
Bacon grease or other grease
Celery, corn husks & cobs, artichokes, pineapples, asparagus and other extremely fibrous foods


Ok so really, who puts combustible things in their garbage disposal? And surely there are better places for my cigarette butts. It was just the "fibrous foods" that no one warned me about. Well, now we know.

1 comment:

Cari said...

You can't help it if you grew up mainly in homes with no garbage disposal.