Saturday, May 9, 2009

Rock, Paper, Scissors

So we were watching an extremely inspiring and thought-provoking movie the other day... Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, and it led us to an interesting question: how in the world does paper beat rock? I mean think about it! Since when does being able to cover something equal dominance? Does that mean clothes beat people? Or that bedspreads beat beds? Paper works when it comes to being beaten by scissors, but to think that you could conquer a rock by covering it with paper is just non-sensical. So Riley and I decided to think of what could really beat a rock but not scissors. My suggestion was erosion. Here's my reasoning: Erosion is the transport of broken down rock/soil/etc which can wear away at a rock until it is almost nothing. At the same time, your scissors are not going to be worn away like rock would. Riley thought that my reasoning was flawed due to the process of rusting. My response was that rusting is not a part of erosion, it is weathering. This heated discussion resulted in internet research and a call to my favorite geologist. She confirmed that rusting is indeed not part of erosion, making me right, not that it matters of course:) Anyhow, if you have any suggestions on something that beats rock but not scissors, please let me know. We are having a hard time coming up with a hand signal for erosion.

-Ang

2 comments:

BITTER OLD BITCH said...

Cavemen?

Cavemen beat rock, yet don't know how to use scissors yet. XD

Love the erosion idea though.

Cori said...

Flail your arms a bit while making swooshing rain noises?

My word is bedfulme.... I'm not sure where to go with this one? Is it a goodnight phrase with a mouthful of milk and cookies? Is it a command to your oh-too-snuggly dog, because your bed is not big enough to share? I just don't know.