Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Double Life

Over the past two days I have found myself enjoying the newest Indiana Jones flick... twice.  It occurs to me that the famous Indiana Jones, the captain of adventure himself, has a lot in common with yours truly.  He is ("part time")... a teacher!!!  I regret to say that the similarities end there.  I don't understand any dead languages (though I'm conversational in at least one non-useful language), I would be terrible in a fist fight (I'm a "walk, talk, or rock" kind of gal), and if I was ever handed a whip I would never even touch it for fear it would make that loud cracking sound.  Maybe if I could just have his hat, that seems to be the source of his power.  I could wake up every weekday morning, go to school, teach kids the difference between a simple subject and a complete subject, try to entice them into learning about why Columbus sailed the ocean blue, assure them that walking in a quiet line is a life skill, and then on the weekends I just put on my khaki hat and the adventure begins.  But alas, I am just an ordinary teacher, no whip, no upper body strength, and alas, no khaki hat.  

-Ang

2 comments:

Cari said...

But your students think you're the she-version of Indiana Jones! Or superwoman. Or Cinderella. Or a combo of all of the above.

Extreme Educators said...

Ordinary and teacher don't belong in the same sentence my dear. We are extreme educators after all :) So extreme in fact, I think we could give Indiana Jones a run for his money in the Disneyland ride category. What would our ride consist of?....hmmm I sense a creative writing topic coming on!