Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Holidays...desert style.

I am not sure if I love the week after Christmas, or hate it with my whole heart. It's one part exciting because of the coming New Year with all of its possibilities for self-improvement, (not to mention the fact that New Years is the one holiday that greatly increases the chances of us poor single souls getting some lip action.) But it's also one part incredibly sad because Christmas lights and decorations come down, people go back to work and holiday spirit takes a nose dive. Either way, this week is unavoidable so instead of dwelling on my mixed feelings, I will relive holiday happenings here in Arizona.

The last week before school was surprisingly pretty fun! My kids were really well behaved compared to last year. Our Christmas party went off without a hitch including ice cream cone Christmas trees and hand painted ornaments for my kids (puff paint rocks my face). I didn't waste any time after school was over though. Bright and early Saturday morning myself and 5 other girls loaded up and headed to the happiest place on Earth for a girls getaway!

If there were ever a place to get you in the holiday spirit, it is Disneyland. We had an absolute blast and took many a cliche silly face picture to prove it. My highlight was getting the super cute guy working at the Monsters Inc. ride to take our picture. I almost went back to take a picture of him, but alas he had moved on to bigger and better things...perhaps the Jungle Cruise? Our day at the Magic Kingdom ended far too quickly but it as totally worth it and I hope it becomes a tradition. We came home just in time to do some last minute shopping for the parents and to gear up for Christmas.

Christmas day was divine. We woke up at about 9:30, sat and chatted around the digital Yule Log on TV complete with crackling noises to make it feel authentic, finally decided to open presents, and then hung around until an afternoon movie. I love my family dearly, but it was fantastic to just sit and do nothing all day! Some notable presents included: a heated blanket (for those freezing 60 degree cold fronts that come through AZ), a bunch of great movies, gift certificates, and a hotel style bathrobe that is so fantastic I'm pretty sure my parents snuck into the Hilton and stole it from Paris herself.

So here I am a few days before New Years blogging trying to avoid the looming report cards that are piled up on my desk. I am excited for 2009...who knows what fun blog-worthy things it might bring.

So...Adios 2008, and Bonjour 2009! (Didn't you hear? 2009 is the year I become tri-lingual.)
-Kare

5 comments:

Extreme Educators said...

Disneyland? Without me?!? I think I am tearing a little. Oh well, maybe someday we will be able to relive our youth together in the Magic Kingdom. Sigh.... What really makes me sad is that there are two girls in your group that I do not recognize. Who said you could make new friends?

Extreme Educators said...

My dear, You can rest assured that Syd and I were reliving every fond memory we had on our fearsome foursome trip! Including the full moon we saw waiting for Syd to get ready, and Robin sitting in the fountain. We are hoping to make it at tradition so perhaps next year you can join the crew! Those two girls are Laura (big red scarf) and Codi (grey scarf) I'm assuming that's who you were talking about. Not to worry, I am sure they were sick of hearing about you by the end of the trip :) xoxo

Kelli Henderson said...

You are so cute. :) Hope New Year's was awesome...and that you got some lip.
xxx

Mom said...

Ang....How could I ever forget the Fierce Foursome's trip to DL when that amazing Princess Photo frame sits in "your" room still? You know..the one with the extra tall "space" that fits your head perfectly with all 4 of you.. Ah..that was the perfect gift I gave K. that year...Was I excited to find it!

Blessings...
Mom C.

Mom said...

Karen...I must admit...I am thankful you DIDN'T go on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride without me. Jealousy is NOT an attractive quality in a mother.

However, the Peter Pan Issue is another matter.

Kel, if you read this again, remember when you thought me and your sister got kidnapped because we didn't get back to the hotel until 1 AM on vacation that year? It seems to me as well there was an issue of us getting in trouble with the Alice in Wonderland lady who, in spite of the fact there were NO people in line at midnight, made us go around through the turnstile again and enter properly when we wanted to get right back on. Numbers count you know.....

Disney memory hugs to both of you...Mom.