Sunday, November 2, 2008

October 31...the good girl's excuse to do things her mother usually wouldn't approve of.

Yes, it is officially November and the frightful day of October 31st has come and gone. Last year my Halloween consisted of stuffing the kids in my class full of candy, sending them on their merry way, then going home to an oh so exciting night of absolutely nothing. This year...not the case. Surprisingly enough this year was probably the most fun I have ever had on Halloween.

Following a fun-filled school day including pumpkin math and science centers, I proceeded to get ready for a sick dance party where a fabulous costume and my best dance moves were a must. I was a 60's gogo dancer. Now, I've never been one to go all out for a costume. But this year I happened to come upon a fantastic lime green dress and white knee-high platform boots. I lathered on the white eye-shadow, black eye liner, and frosted lip stick. I flipped out my hair, teased it to an ungodly height, and shellacked it with hairspray. With the help of my mother, I cut the calf length dress to a couple inches above the knee. It's not every day your own mother says, "No, I really think you need to go at least a couple inches shorter." Fantastic!

The dance party was insanely fun. There were all kinds of costumes including a human facebook page (with a wall everyone wrote on and everything!), an 80's rocker, Elvis, Dorothy, a smurf, Michael Phelps, a pregnant woman, ect. I knew I had done well with my costume when I walked in and heard, "Wait! What the freak? Is that Karen?!" Mission accomplished. We all danced the night way, doing dance moves that would have given my grandmother heart palpitations. But hey, it's Halloween so anything goes right? It's a pretty funny sight to see the youth pastor, his wife, the members of the worship band, and a several youth sponsors thrusting and dipping to censored versions of songs normally reserved for clubs on Mill Ave. But, it was all in good fun and the party went on until 2:00 AM so we must have been doing something right!

I would have to say the highlight of the night was when myself and three of my girlfriends secretly planned a dance to surprise everyone with. We added our song to the heavily guarded play list with James-Bond like stealth. When we knew our song was next we headed to the hallway until it was time to make our grand entrance. Then as Crank Dat by Soulja Boy started playing, a gogo dancer, an 80's rocker, a thug and a smurf made their way out to the dance floor and busted out the best performance of the super man dance you've ever seen. Cameras were flashing and people were clapping. It was amazing.

This Halloween I learned three things: I have fantastic friends, I love dance parties, and I look fabulous in gogo boots. :) Here are some pictures to give you an idea of how sweet it really was!

-Kare









2 comments:

Kelli Henderson said...

OMG! You are hot sister. And I LOVE that Mom helped you get that costume together...I'm sure she was all over it, and had PLENTY of stories to share about her time in the 60's. :) So glad you had fun and so glad you had the chance to shake that booty of yours...I know you've got some moves!
xxx

Mom said...

Yes, my darling other daughter, in 1964 I was the Yardley Slicker Lipstick poster girl. Paul covered the ceiling and walls of my small sanctuary called my bedroom, and Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton ( google her for more info) received my hard earned allowance to purchase their beauty products. It rocked, it was fab, and it was gear. ( google that word as well)
xoxoxo
Mom.