Saturday, November 29, 2008

smurf muffins


Aw the joys of being a teacher. Not only do I get all major holidays(and some minor ones) off, I also get to spread my creative wings and make some really weird things. For example, my cousin, the geologist (yea rocks!), came into town for Thanksgiving and I jumped at the chance to slack off... I mean offer my students an engaging scholastic experience. I suggested to Cori that she should come talk to my class about something rocky, and she agreed (really I just don't think she had any better plans). That is how we came to be giggling hysterically in my parents' kitchen late Monday night while glopping color-enhanced muffin mix into over-full muffin pans, while Alli (other cousin) begged us to hurry so she could go to bed. Our goal was to make muffins that had different-colored layers inside so the kids could shove clear straws into them, pull them out, then use these "core samples" to guess what the inside of the muffins looked like. It worked pretty well except the kids kept getting berries in their samples. Hooray for fifth grade!

-Ang

4 comments:

Stephen said...

What a cool idea! Wish you were my 5th grade teacher!

Shari said...

I think your students really enjoyed the exercise, plus they now know that geologists are cute!

Extreme Educators said...

1)I am super jealous that you get to do such fun things with your students.
2)I am super jealous that your cousin gets to do such fun things with you over break.

I miss you dear.

Cori said...

hee hee hee, now they will always think that rocks look like muffins on the inside! Thanks for letting me join in the fun!