Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My back and our shed

My back hurts. Even when I sleep. I can only fall asleep on my back because everything else hurts (but hey, at least I can sleep on my back without making weird puffing noises). When I wake up in the middle of the night, lying on my back hurts. Ironically I can now sleep on my stomach which used to give me neck headaches. Is this supposed to happen at 24? My chiropractor says I need to stretch really well because my hamstrings and other butt-related muscles are attached to my lower back where it is hurting and if I stretch that part of my spine will not get pulled on so much. You would think that would make me go "relief? I'll do that right now!" and spend most of my day stretching. And yet I really don't stretch at all. Isn't it weird how some people can be so lazy that they don't even do things that will get them out of pain?

Moving on to other non-depressing items. There is a shed growing in my back yard! For those of you who don't know my husband and I have a small fleet of bicycles that are currently living in a friend's shed and in our man den (which now has no room for manliness because of all the bikes). I bet most of you didn't know that you could have a bike that is specific to dirt jumps or trail riding or cruising to Starbucks or road riding or pointing yourself down a mountain and not dying. We have all of those. Some of them more than once. So when we moved into our house that we own (I guess technically the bank still owns most of it) we decided we needed to build a shed for our bikes in the back yard. That was almost two years ago. About a year ago Riley and his dad built a beautiful floor. We ooooed and aaahhhhhed over it, and when it began to rain we quickly covered it with tarps and tried to weight down the corners so that it wouldn't get ruined. Then nothing really happened after that, except that the wind blew corners of the tarp up and leaves and water started collecting on it and we looked at it and said, "it'll be fine". We didn't have the resources to continue. Then we didn't have the time. Then we didn't have any help from anyone who REALLY knew what they were doing. Anyhow, that all changed this week. Riley's dad came over Monday morning and took Riley to Home Depot to gather supplies, and they got started. Over the past few days the floor of our shed has grown three walls, one with a window and walls, the other two just framed. This morning Riley and one of his buddies is putting up wall number four complete with window and door holes. I am very excited. Now our bikes can live outside where they belong and the mower and weedeater don't have to sit on the side of the house and look trashy (not that you would notice in our neighborhood where people have massive windchime collections and cook fish in a barrel fire in their driveway or have so many lawn ornaments that you are often startled by their dog who you didn't notice standing over there by that gnome). If I had a camera that worked I would take pictures of the progress and show you. But alas, my camera has stopped focusing and Riley's bounced down about twenty feet of rock. Oops. Well, now I am off to get my house cleaned up and go get my hair cut. Hooray!

3 comments:

Cari said...

Leave me along already about the weird puffing noises. I have not control over that. Wait 'till you're old! :)

Cari said...

Or leave me ALONE. Whatever.

MarkJ said...

Can't wait to see the new bike shed. Now Riley can come over and show me how to build my outdoor "Man Cave"! After the parentals room, living room, our bathroom, etc.....