Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spring break

Update on my odyssey to become physically fit: decided to work out yesterday, and since I hadn't done anything too strenuous in a few days I decided to really make this one count. So I put on some stretchy pants and headed out to the Y. I decided to start on the treadmill and started jogging. Of course I had to check out everyone else's distance and speed and time and compare it to my own as I started. Out of the eight or so others who were also treadmilling at various speeds, most of them were older, less-fit-looking, and basically unintimidating (yes, I am shallow and judgmental). Careful glances at those directly adjoining me assured me that I was the superior being. Look right: Ah, I see we are just going for a casual stroll today. Look left: Oo, a runner... but only for a few minutes. Pity. Then she came in. I could tell by the healthy tone of her hamstrings that she was a runner and that she was going to come right to the treadmill next to me where I was busy congratulating myself on being the queen of the gym as I passed minute 20 of my run. Sure enough, Ms. Hamstring came right where I thought she would and promptly started running. And man did she run. I was trotting along at a brisk 5.4 miles per hour. This chick was sprinting at an astounding 7.4. Geez. I felt my self confidence fading. I was slow. I wouldn't be able to make it that far. Who was I kidding? Then she grabbed onto the side handles and hopped off onto the side runners as the belt continued to spin. Apparently her shoe needed to be retied. After it was fixed she hopped back on and continued running. Not more than two minutes later she hopped off again. This time it was her hair. She adjusted her bobby pin and continued. Hmm. Another 90 seconds and this time she had to redo the whole ponytail. As I continued to watch her from the corner of my eye my confidence returned. She didn't go more than two minutes at a time without retying a shoe, fixing a bobby pin or redoing her ponytail. Her speed was still impressive but her stamina was not what I was fearing. Just another example of how shallow and self-conscious I am. Oh well, I finished my run, did thirty minutes on the elliptical, then jumped in the pool. And yet I am not sore today. Makes me feel like I didn't even do anything. I'll try harder next time.

And finally... it is spring break. After the Y I was picked up by my wonderful family and whisked off to go see Alice in Wonderland. Good movie. Kind of trippy. I can't figure out how Johnny Depp can suddenly have a big gap between his two front teeth. Then a nice afternoon nap and dinner at Ken's with the other side of the fam. This morning was church, lunch with the 'rents, another nice nap, dinner, and a movie while curled up on the couch with my hubby. The best part? It doesn't matter when I get up in the morning. It causes me pure joy to know that if I wake up at ten til six tomorrow I can turn over and go right back to sleep. No students. No grades (well, I do have stuff to do, just not right away). No plans. It's whatever my heart desires :). Sigh.

4 comments:

Cari said...

If I hadn't been present when you came into this world and watched them tag you as mine with that teenie tiny little hospital bracelet, I'd say you were switched at birth. No one in our family has ever been so physically fit. Weird. Impressive. But weird.

MarkJ said...

You're the QUEEN of the gym! Next it'll be Queen of the racquetball court. Then Marathon Queen. And finally TRIATHLETE Queen!!!

Extreme Educators said...

Thanks for the ego boost, but you will never catch me in a racquetball court or a marathon. Triathlon will be accomplished, but only a sprint.

Extreme Educators said...

Thanks for the ego boost, but you will never catch me in a racquetball court or a marathon. Triathlon will be accomplished, but only a sprint.